Dog owners know far too well that they shouldn't be feeding their pet foods such as chocolate, avocado, turkey, and milk because it can be harmful.
Now, you might even want to think twice about giving your dog a bone treat, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration warns.
The FDA has revealed new information regarding pet illnesses related to "bone treats." More than 65 cases have been reported by owners and vets, where approximately fifteen dogs reportedly died after eating a bone treat.
“Giving your dog a bone treat might lead to an unexpected trip to your veterinarian, a possible emergency surgery, or even death for your pet," notes Carmela Stamper, a vet in the Center for Veterinary Medicine at the FDA.
Some of the illnesses that have been reported include gastrointestinal obstruction, choking, cuts and wounds in the mouth or on the tonsils, vomiting, diarrhea, bleeding from the rectum, and/or death.
So which "bone treats" are considered dangerous for your dogs?
The FDA explains that "a variety of commercially-available bone treats for dogs—including treats described as Ham Bones, Pork Femur Bones, Rib Bones, and Smokey Knuckle Bones—were listed in the reports. The products may be dried through a smoking process or by baking and may contain other ingredients such as preservatives, seasonings, and smoke flavorings."
FYI, chicken bones on your dining table can also be harmful to your furry friend.
If your dog is a bone-chewing lover, here are ways to prevent an injury:
- Keep your food when you're eating or cooking out of reach.
- Be careful with what you put in the trash can.
- Ask your vet about safer treats and toys options for your pet.
“We recommend supervising your dog with any chew toy or treat, especially one she hasn’t had before,” adds Stamper. “And if she ‘just isn’t acting right,’ call your veterinarian right away!”
You Might Also Like